Where it is located?
The Mountain of the Seven Colors of Palccoyo is located south of Cusco, a short distance from the snowy Ausangate, in the Andes Mountains of Peru. It is currently located in the district of Checacupe, province of Canchis.
How Pallcoyo originated?
The Palcoyo mountain range as well as Vinicunca (Rainbow Mountain), originate thanks to an impressive geological process where the strata of the earth align themselves creating layers of different colors with a surprising effect.
Near Pallcoyo you can also find a mysterious stone forest, where capricious rock formations form a geological labyrinth.
How high is the Mountain of the Seven Colors of Palccoyo?
Palccoyo is located at 4,900 meters above sea level (m.a.s.l.), 300 meters at a lower altitude than the Mountain of 7 Colors Vinicunca (5,200 m.s.n.m.).
In the Palccoyo mountain and in all of Cusco there is a climate divided into 2 throughout the year, which we will detail below:
- The rainy season: From December to March, in this season the Palcoyo is usually covered with dense fog, accompanied by snow and hail, but also the weather on some days is better and you can enjoy the Palcoyo mountain.
- The dry season: Includes from April to November. Between these months it is mostly sunny so the Palcoyo mountain can be seen more clearly.
Best time for a Tour to Palccoyo
As we know, the best time to go to Cusco and Palcoyo is in the dry season, from April to October. Although you can go in the other months, but keep in mind that you have a high probability of seeing the mountain covered with snow.
How to get to Palcoyo?
First you have to travel in a vehicle from Cusco to the Combapata district, after a 03-hour journey you must turn left to the Checacupe bridge. This suspension bridge was made by the Incas to favor the routes of the old empire.
You must continue the route through a trail for approximately 1 hour until you reach a parking lot.
Already in the aforementioned parking lot you will be able to appreciate this Rainbow mountain range of Pallcoyo, however, the best experience will be if you walk at a slow pace for about 45 minutes until you reach the natural viewpoint of the Rainbow mountain range of Pallcoyo.
Where can I stay?
The Cordillera de Colores Pallcoyo is a new destination so it is very difficult to find hotels or hostels, however there are houses with accommodation in the town of Checacupe and you can also choose to spend the night in Chuquicahuana.
Where to eat?
You will find local restaurants that cater to tourists, in the district of Checacupe and enjoy the typical dishes of the area.
Pallcoyo or Vinicunca?
The effort and time required to get to Palcoyo is less than that needed to get to Vinicunca, likewise, the latter receives hundreds of tourists daily so the landscape experience is less than that of visiting Palcoyo.
Without a doubt, Vinicunca continues to be the greatest challenge for intrepid travelers wanting to conquer this challenging challenge, while Palcoyo is an excellent option for those who are not in excellent health.
- 06:30 am Transfer from the hotel
- 07:00 am We continue to the community of Palcoyo.
- 09:00 am We will make a stop in Checacupe to visit the bridge.
- 10:45 am Arrival at the first viewpoint and start of the walk.
- 11:30 am Arrival at the viewpoint of the second and third mountain of colors (free time for photos)
- 12:00 am Descent to the starting point (Parking).
- Optional: visit of the red valley (it will be an additional 15 minutes of walking).
- 12:45 pm We will take the vehicle to the restaurant.
- 14:30 pm Lunch in Cusipata.
- 15:30 pm Return to the city of Cusco
- 18:00 pm Arrival to the city of Cusco
We will start with the pick-up from your hotel that will be from 6:30 -7: 00 am. from the different Hotels or Hostels, already ready, we go to the southern area of our city we will travel for approximately 3 hours to the town of Combapata 3200 masl, passing through the towns of Urcos, Cusipata and Checacupe where we will visit the Checacupe bridge (optional ) and we will have a little time to enter the toilet services, then we will arrive at the town of Combapata, We will continue the journey uphill for 1 hour and 40 minutes approximately on the left bank of the Salka river with an incredible view of the valley in which we will be , we will arrive at the starting point of the trek to » Wallata Q’asa » 4790 masl – 15715 fasl. Going through the Palcoyo community before.
From this point you can see the Mountain of » Warsaqyani » there begins our adventure of a walk of approximately 30 minutes to know the hill of colors of » Q’alle Q’alle » and the forest of stones located at 4960 masl – 16272 fasl, The entire route on the trek is an average of 2 kilometers. If you ascend to the Piedras forest, this trek will be extended and will not have much slope.
After free time in the stone forest « Yura’q Qaqa » we will descend again to the parking lot, the visit of the small Red Valley that this area offers will be optional and it will take us only 15 more minutes to walk, it will be decided at the moment with the guide Seeing the conditions of the group, then we will return to take our return transport to Cusipata, where we will have our delicious lunch.
Having lunch, we will return to the city of Cusco arriving at 6:00 – 6:30 pm
- Round-trip transportation
- Food: local lunch
- Bilingual guide (Spanish – English).
- First aid box
- Oxygen balloon
Does not include:
- Entrance ticket to the mountain s /. 10.00 soles.
- Water and snack.
- Walking sticks (optional).
We recommend bringing:
- Light clothing for walking and comfortable shoes.
- Money in Soles (shopping).
- Camera – camcorder – batteries.
Recommendations for Palccoyo Tour
- If you suffer from cardiovascular problems, this walk is not recommended.
- Pills for altitude sickness or previous acclimatization.
- This walk is also recommended for children.
- It is important to wear warm clothing as well as windbreakers.
- The walk is without slope and is only 40 minutes
- The trip is for most travelers (regardless of age)
- Although the walk is short it is always important to acclimatize 1 day before the excursion
- It is advisable to eat healthy food.
- Horses are not rented on this route, so we have the privilege of conserving nature and caring for the animals.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much is the entrance ticket to the Mountain of the Seven Colors of Palccoyo?
To visit Cerro Colorado on your own, you must purchase the entrance ticket in the town of Palccoyo. The cost for foreigners is 10 soles (3 dollars). National tourists pay 5 soles (2 dollars).
How is the climate in the Palccoyo Tour?
The Palccoyo mountain has a cold climate due to its proximity to the snowy Ausangate. The temperature can drop below 0ºC. That is why, at some times of the year, the slopes are covered with snow.
What to see in the Palccoyo Tour?
Besides being a natural attraction of incomparable beauty, the Mountain of Seven Colors is the natural habitat of various types of animals such as llamas, alpacas, vizcachas, condors and more.
On the route that connects Cerro Colorado there is a stone forest formed naturally millions of years ago. From there you can closely appreciate the beauty of the Ausangate mountain, the largest in Cusco.
What is the opening hours?
Due to the cold weather, visits to the Mountain of Seven Colors of Palccoyo are only in the mornings and part of the afternoons. Hours of operation are 8 a.m. at 3 p.m.
When is the best time to visit the mountain?
The best time to visit Palccoyo’s Mountain of Seven Colors is during the dry season (from April to October). In those months, rains occur much less frequently, making the excursion easy.